This question has plagued Mike and I for as long as we can remember.
How are we to respond to the beggars we encounter?
We have had several experiences were we've chosen to do nothing, we've given food, we've given money, we've given little, we've given much, we've wanted to give and just didn't have anything on us to give. We've never known how God would be most pleased in each situation. Some of them we gave out of fear, as the beggar was aggressive. I still shutter at two specific experiences. We've given out of compassion and obligation. We've ignored out of confusion. What is the right answer? God's word does touch on a variety of possibilities. We are commanded to care for the widowed and orphaned. To be generous, to show mercy, grace and compassion, as though it is our own merit that keeps us from that same place. But then there are harsh warnings to the sluggard, slothful person.
The recent conclusion we've drawn is, we don't know each story. Some may be where they are b/c of hard life circumstances, some my be laying in the bed they've made. My heart breaks for both! Apart from Christ and His saving grace in my life, I would be wallowing in my own sin and it would be just as appalling, no..... more disgusting to God then the filthy rank rages of an unbathed person. We are all unclean before God without the cleansing of His son Jesus Christ.
After making a new acquaintance with someone who works in a homeless shelter. He gave us a great idea, that really resonates with my spirit. It is so simple, yet practical. He suggested giving gift cards to common restaurants, as a way to provide a meal. What a fantastic way to met a physical need in someone who may or may not have "stewardship issues". We also desire more deeply to care for the spiritual needs of those people, so have decided to throw our gift card in a pamphlet that clearly communicates God's love for sinners. So both our vehicles now have a few pamphlets loaded gift cards to subway and burger king. I had the pleasure to distribute one this week!
I don't know if this is the perfect solution to an age old problem. But for now it is what we feel called to do and I was excited to tell about it!
Sunday, January 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a great idea... I also feel torn about what to do when we encounter people begging. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete