Friday, May 21, 2010
Who gets the credit?
So I've been having strong cravings for chocolate, not just any chocolate, brownies. Yum!! I'm so out of control I decided to do a little research about chocolate, dismayed to find out that whomever invented brownies is officially unknown, but there are many educated guesses and it was certain in the early 1900's, I'm so glad i didn't miss out, think of all those before this time. This may be one of those things i'll have to find out in heaven so I can be sure to thank whatever saint it was, surely such a wise one will be worshiping our Father in eternity. What bad theology I just spoke. Anyway... what I did learn is the cacao plant was first discovered by the Olmec Indians 1500 BC. Then to the Aztec and Maya cultures who discovered the value of the cacao plant, did they ever. Columbus brought it back (the bean of course) for gifts in the 1400's but no one was thankful, boy did they miss out. It wasn't until 2 decades after that, that the Spanish found value in it, so much so that they secretly had monks growing and harvesting it and selling it to the wealthy (mostly for drinks), so no one else could get there hands on it, they made a killing for about a century. In 1600 a nun started making it for eating, good thought sister. And in the 1700's it made it's way to America, praise God for that! Obviously the good secret got out a little bit at a time, and it spread thought out the world resulting in vast yumminess, but what a fun little history lesson for me this afternoon. Guess I'll go finish that last brownie from the batch I made yesterday. Bon appetite!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment