Tuesday, July 5, 2011
New Menu Plan?????
We did see the Dr. today for the "surgery consult" about the tummy. It went well. We are not rushing into surgery yet. She suggested that we try using formula and adding calories to try and bulk aggie up, and perhaps some cereal to the formula, to keep it down her. I mentioned the possible milk allergy (she gets the same rash Shiloh did) and inability to eat from a bottle/cup, she suggested we let her get hungary and make it the only option. We also are suppose to see a speech therapist to help with feeding, and use soy products. It sounds so hard to me, but I did try it when we got home from the dr. and God had mercy on me..... she took 2 oz. from a bottle (the best she's done since early infancy), then I feed her some food as usual. It's not really enough formula for her to gain weight in theory, but it is a better start than I was anticipating since just a day ago all we could get her to take was about 1/2 oz. with much anguish. I've decided to go "cold turkey" with the breast-feeding to bottle thing and give it my best try if they think that will prevent surgery and help her, than that is what i want to do, though I have many mixed emotions and feelings about it. I'm looking forward to talking to her new pediatrician about it tomorrow at her appointment. The surgeon also wants us to do more testing on Aggie. They are with nuclear medicine. One will see how much reflux Aggie has, and the other will see how fast or slow her tummy is emptying. The results of these will determine to a greater extent the need for surgery. I asked about if she needed surgery the possibility of doing them at the same time as her ear tubes, though they said it is possible for that to happen, the surgeon will be out of town for the scheduled date of her tubes, and it doesn't sound like we will come to any conclusions as to whether or not she will need tummy surgery or not until a month or so after her tubes are in (August 15th). I think that is about all we learned today. I am glad we are not rushing in to surgery and exhausting all options prior to that, I pray one of them work! Over-all I am feeling peaceful about it, I'm not looking forward to the effects of a quick wean on my body, but it shall pass I am certain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wonder if pumping might be a good option? That way if the formula/bottle doesn't pan out, you can go back to it or at least have the opportunity to get some of those good anitbodies into her.
ReplyDeleteNot having surgery would be great. Yay for cautious doctors!
I am pumping Christy, I forgot to mention that part, but not too much, as i am planning to stop nursing eventually. It is just for comfort. Thanks for the objective opinion!
ReplyDelete