The Clan

The Clan
" Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." James 1:17

Monday, January 30, 2012

coupons

So after owning a binder for 2 years, and many pep talks later I tried my hand at couponing for the 1st time today. I got the binder organized over the weekend. Bought my 2 papers, the kids helped me clip, (good practice) and away we went to the stores today.
I didn't take pictures, but here's my stats.
CVS
Spent $37.53 Saved $44.22
Walgreens
Spent $59.63 Saved $41.64
Wal-Mart
Saved $8.30
Not bad for a newbie. I bought all stuff we would use and normally would buy, with the exception of trying a couple new brands on random items, like mayo and rice. Doesn't hurt to try, especially when you are paying significantly less for the item.
Lessons learned were:
1. Go to Walgreens on Thursday not Monday it's Military Appreciation Day and I would have got an additional 15% off. Oops.
2. Wal-Mart will not except coupons that they can not scan. Good to know, only lost $.90 though.
I have a lot more to learn I'm sure, like how to trim down my planning time, but I hope that this serves our family's budget well.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the coupon front. I go back and forth with it. I know you get the best deals at walgreens and cvs and stuff... but taking my kids in there is a pain. And I dislike making 3 stops... when I know I can get most of it done in 1. This is where simplicity is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is a pain to make the extra stops, so I tried to plan it at a good time for Aggie, well fed and rested. We'll see how my endurance holds up? I am glad to have saved the extra money. :) It makes me feel like I have a salary, and I'm making well over $10 an hour so far. I think I'll be making more once I find my groove.

      Delete